Ginger-Sesame-Glazed Portobello Steaks
Vegetarian Times/February 2002
2 cloves garlic minced
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
½ cup tamari sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon white wine
4 larges Portobello mushrooms caps
1 Tablespoon peanut oil
1. In small bowl, combine garlic, ginger and Tahini. Stir in tamari, sesame oil, sugar and wine until well blended.
2. Put mushroom caps in shallow bowl. Add tamari mixture, turning to coat mushrooms and let stand 15 - 30 minutes, turning once.
3. In large skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms (reserve marinade) and cook, turning once until browned and slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Cut each mushroom on a slight angle into 1/4 inch thick slices. In small saucepan, heat reserved marinade.
5. To serve, spoon hot mashed potatoes on serving plates. Fan out mushroom slices over potatoes and lightly drizzle with marinade.
Per Serving: 292 calories; 9G protein; 23 G fat (3 G Sat. Fat); 11 G Carbohydrates; 1027MG Sodium; 5G Fiber.